Saturday, February 2, 2019

HTTYD3: Spoiler Free Review

Well, I've just now left the theater. I'm gonna do a short, spoiler-free review of the film. Hopefully, I will do some more in-depth posts in the very near future, but DANG I need to see it again! SO MUCH IS THERE.




So, in brief, the film is amazing. It stands solidly shoulder to shoulder with the first and second film. It makes up for some of the weaknesses in both of the other films as well... though I am sure it has it's own minor flaws as well (as of yet, I have not noticed ANY, but that may change XD).

The music, superb. I didn't listen to the soundtrack before seeing the film, so every part of it was fresh and amazing.

The animation was genuinely breathtaking. Certain scenes were so incredibly beautiful... it took my breath away.

I know EVERYONE tells you that this film will make you cry, and I honestly worried that people saying that would make me NOT cry. No worries, it did most certainly make me cry... buckets and buckets of tears!

The characters all felt marvelously in-character. Hiccup and Toothless both grow in really extraordinary ways. I was once again impressed by the power of the story writing and the themes. It felt like a very natural and mature place to take the franchise.

This movie is FULL of visual parallels. And it's not cheesy, it's incredibly meaningful when you compare and contrast them. Not only do the scenes look and sound and feel amazing, but they also parallel the early films and thus add this poetic depth that is absolutely stunning. That may be the thing that impressed me the most. It felt JUST like a perfect HTTYD film... because it behaved just like one.

Overall... I don't know which HTTYD will wind up being my favorite. This one just feels like it ties the other two together, and it ends the franchise in such a perfect way. I am genuinely SO THANKFUL for this story. It's amazing to see it end. Yes, it is sad... but there is a message in there that I think we will all appreciate. I'll go more in depth in the next posts... but for now, I just want to say that I am a proud fan of a trilogy that has and will impact me for the rest of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment