Monday, July 29, 2013

A simple question...


Adrian and I went to watch Turbo. It was a fairly decent film, and I must say the BEST thing was the 3D...not Turbo's 3D though; the 3D on the HTTYD2 teaser that they played before it! Haha! Yes, we totally payed 11$ each to go and see a two minute teaser, and It. Was. Worth. IT! It looked absolutely splendid, and it honestly made the trailer look twice as good as before. I'll just give a quick run through on what really popped out more in the 3D! Honestly, I would HIGHLY recommend any really big HTTYD fan to hit the theaters just so as to catch the 3D teaser! Ah! It was hilarious! We sat there, and it was the LAST trailer shown, so we had to suffer through all the others first (Planes, The Lego Movie, and Rio2)! Every time a trailer would come up we'd hold our breath, and then it wasn't it, and then we'd groan REALLY loud! Finally, when we heard that Night Fury whistle, we both CHEERED! Haha, then we whooped way to much as we watched the trailer, and then we clapped at the end! Thankfully there were only a couple other people there because I am sure we looked like dorks!

Ok, now to tell you about the teaser's 3D.

First off, it did EXACTLY what the first movie did: It added DEPTH. It didn't just make things come out, it made you feel like you could go IN! That really gripped me in the first movie because the environment was so real and the 3D immersed you in it! So...the movie (and trailer) did not need to do a bunch of cheesy gimmicks to make things pop out because everything, absolutely everything, felt like it was sitting in its proper place. Things moved in and out so NATURALLY, and honestly I think the feeling of deepness was more impressive than when things shot out! After all that, add a bit of dragons or ash or clouds flying into your face and you have a brilliant 3D experience!

The splash at the beginning was clearly right in your face, but I expected that!


Then, this, THIS was gorgeous! His big old, beautiful face came right up to us smiling! That was the closest I've felt to that Nightfury in quite a while! Made me so happy!


Then, much to my surprise, this was also amazing! Toothless's back stabilizing wing felt SO close! It doesn't look like much here, but trust me, it really made Toothless feel actual size!


And then you had this bit! Hiccup felt so much closer than Toothless did, like they were both really taking up actual space! I swear, the way the the cinematographers use 3D in HTTYD is simply amazing! It doesn't distract, it makes it feel real!


Finally, ALL the clouds looked incredible! This final bit where Hiccup cut through them shot a bunch of them right into your face. Actually very realistic feeling! The clouds blew into view quite a lot during the whole thing! You really can't tell in 2D, but there are clouds obscuring your view and swirling around quite a lot! 




So...all in all Turbo is worth seeing just for the HTTYD2 teaser! I was sooooo worried that they were not going to show it, but it definitely made my day! Thank you Turbo for giving me an excuse to watch this teaser again! Haha! Ah, this second film is going to be a beautiful thing to watch!






1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness this is so exciting!! Yeah that shot of Hiccup flying forward *would* seem quite 3D and that Toothless' face!! My gosh, what a thrill. If the physics sold me and my sis into the HTTYD world, how much more the 3D with the even better animation quality? We're all gonna die a million deaths before the sequel even gets out, and then we're gonna die some more. XD

    ReplyDelete