Thursday, June 19, 2014

The true first reaction...


So, after seeing HTTYD2 for the second time in theaters, it just struck me how different I felt leaving it the second time. My first reaction, the first time I saw the film, was just absolutely unbelievable. I have never, ever, ever been moved by any story like I was by that one, and I wrote a sort of emotional gush expressing how traumatized I was. I sent it in a mail, but I figured I might as well display this mail to the world so that you all can get just a tiny glimpse of how much this film shocked me. I imagine I was not the only one who felt this way upon arriving home from the theater! Spoilers follow. Click the "Read More".



--------------------------------------------------

"What's good about sad?"

"It's happy for deep people."


I'VE NEVER CRIED SO HARD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE AS I DID DURING THAT SCENE. I SWEAR. THIS TOPS THE SKRILL. SO TOPS IT. TOPS IT AD-INFITUM. WHENEVER SOMEONE SAYS "Why's the Skrill so scary? Wouldn't it be scarier is Toothless hurt Hiccup?" I WOULD ALWAYS RESPOND "Pffft! That is ridiculous! It could not ever happen! That scenario is just too ludicrous to be scary!" APPARENTLY I WAS WRONG. I AM SO, SO, SOOOOOOO HURTING. BEST SEQUEL OF ALL TIME. END OF STORY. BUT ALSO THE BRAVEST AND MOST DRASTIC OF SEQUELS I'VE EVER SEEN. WE WANTED TO SEE HICCUP AND TOOTHLESS'S FRIENDSHIP TESTED, I PARTICULARLY WANTED TO STILL SEE TOOTHLESS'S WILD, FIERCE SIDE. Only one thing to say about that…. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

That was just so thematically beautiful on so many levels, but at the same time… I still have yet to recover from the shock of that. Seriously. Maybe I will eventually, but THESE ARE PEOPLE THAT I LOVE AND CARE ABOUT DEEPLY AND THEY ARE KILLING EACH OTHER.

So, yeah, that's my short spill for the evening. Tons and tons of jewels in that movie. Gorgeous score, awe inspiring graphics, brilliant voice acting, Toothless antics to charm one's socks off!

So, after having my heart ripped out and used to play hackie-sack… a very pleased, while very solemnly saddened Toothless,

usertoothless

-----------------------------------------

So, that was my reaction. I still look back on it and can't believe it. It was just such a painful, powerful, life-changing sort of thing. I am glad that I was not as sad the second time because really, that would just be unhealthy! I did still cry, but it was more of crying because the scene was sad and moving, not weeping in shock and horror at what was happening (which was what I was doing the first time I saw it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment