Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Clip... Clip... CLIP!!!


WOW! This HTTYD day just became the best one ever! Not only did I massively enjoy re-watching the first film, I get to see a thirty second clip of the second one. AND IT IS THE ONE FROM COMIC CON THAT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL! Ok, I'll calm down. *calms down* 

This clip... it wasn't in HD, so the screenshots I have gotten are not exactly as stunning as they could be. Also, I think the animation may not be quite finished (like in the teaser trailer) and it is reusing older soundtrack pieces. BUT that's the negatives, and the negatives pale in comparison to the positives.

Below I have made a compilation of 43 screenshots. Feel free to take them and use them. Also, if you click the "read more" and scroll to the bottom you can get my opinions on some of what happens in the trailer.




Ok, first off, the island they are on is lovely! I am a super huge fan of the Fall coloring. Plus, it is awesome to see an environment that is fully in sync with the HTTYD universe but is a little different from what we've seen in the first film! Really lovely. No wonder Hiccup is exploring.

I seriously want that map and suit... 'nuff said. Oh, and if you look at Hiccup's chest you can see the drying stains of Toothless's drool!! Maybe it really doesn't wash out! Haha, I think DreamWorks knows that lots of us are hooked on dragon slobber XD

Now, to be honest, one of the things that is my absolute favorites about this is Hiccup's expressions and actions. Why? One, he sticks his tongue out when he is concentrating, and Two, he holds his pencil in his mouth. Big deal... Well, actually it excites me massively. Why? I do both of those things constantly! I've been in extended church services this week, and I have been constantly trying NOT to stick my tongue out while concentrating and writing notes! I had never ever seen Hiccup do this before, not that I can think of (forgive me if I've forgotten). Then the pencil in mouth. Funny thing that... today I was doing dissections in biology lab and having to draw the specimens. Well, that meant the same hand that was getting gunk on it was also the hand handling my pencil. I had to consciously, super, SUPER intentionally NOT put my pencil sideway in my mouth during that. Seriously, how cool is it for me to be empathizing with Hiccup again! He's my age, weight, and I'm connecting with him like I haven't done since the first film. It's surreal. Please don't think I'm being sappy (or that I think I am exactly like him because I know for sure that I am not), but just seeing him again doing things that I do was very exciting!

Ok, and he and Toothless are the most beautifully charming pair! Such snark, but then their's real affection there at the end scene. HOW HILARIOUS! The "itchy armpit" scene is even better than Comic Con's description. It is hilarious to see them interacting that way. I love that they are alone again, just being together; it really reminds me of the first film. Anyway, this also really shows off the new animating procedure on Toothless! His face is so expressive! Go frame by frame through it, it is marvelous! At the same time... I think he has kept his ability to look sinister, which is good. Look at his eyes and brows when he licks his lips, he is still a creature who can quickly become dangerous (haha, I am sure no fish would like to see that expression on his face), but at the same time the expressiveness and intelligence is really shining through! It makes since considering he's been with Hiccup so long. He even tries to warble song! I don't think they are over-athropomorphizing him, I really don't! I think it is a realistic step, and honestly he still acts like a dragon! I mean, it's beautiful; one second he is trying to sing or mocking speech, and the next he is grossly licking his armpit like that is a totally normal thing to do and not at all being interested in Hiccup's questions. Love it. I think it's a good mix yet again between his animal self and yet an intelligent soul. 

In the end, this thing's gorgeous! My roommate is laughing at me for watching it over and over so many times. I cannot wait for this next movie. For a while I was a little worried, but of late I'm getting extremely excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment