Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Wandering the Unknown (Happy Birthday Inhonoredglory!)


Happy birthday, Inhonoredglory! I can't believe I'm sending you a gift after meeting you in person so recently! This art piece is a crossover between Over The Garden Wall and HTTYD. I've got a version without the birthday text if any of you reading the blog would like to have that (It's attached under the read more). I tried to emulate the style the show in this painting, and it was actually kinda tricky to do! I'll give a little commentary below.



So, the style of OtGW is extremely whimsical, but at the same time the characters are simple in their design, and the shading is often very minimal. I tried to make the background look mysterious and appealing, while the characters in the foreground were supposed to have somewhat muted colors and very little shading or highlights. I tried to make Hiccup look more like a character from the series, which is why he has such big eyes. I also chose first movie Hiccup because Wirt is still in high school during the course of the show, and that is about the same age as Hiccup. I love having these two introverts together... alongside their faithful (though occasionally goofy or overly-curious) companions, Toothless and Greg. I do really like fall colors, and even though everything is sort of grey and misty in the painting, I still think it is a pretty environment to showcase the characters.

So, happy birthday Glory! I hope you have had an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment